"Melkkos", another South African great
"Melkkos" is one of my favourite dishes ever. I do honestly not know what it is called in English, but if I had to translate it, it would be something like milk food. It is a dish with its main ingredient being milk, to which you add some flour and butter. It is a great traditional dish that can be enjoyed all year round. Try it in the winter, it warms you up from the inside! Nothing tastes nicer than a bowl of ìmelkkosî, sprinkled with cinnamon sugar on the top. What can be nicer, I ask you all! If you have never tried it, I would say it is time.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of hard butter
- A pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- Rub the butter in with the flour, using your fingers. Add the salt and mix some more.
- Bring the milk to the boil on the stove and add the butter and flour mixture a little bit at a time.
- Turn the heat right down and let it boil for about 5 minutes. Make sure you stir the mixture often.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top and enjoy it warm!
- You will not be disappointed with this recipe. Try and enjoy. Believe me, you will.